Ok, Here is my all time favorite eggnog recipe…. I don’t remember where I got it from originally, but it has been changed and babied since then.
2 1/2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Cups Whole Milk
1 Cup Baker’s Sugar (Ultrafine)
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg ( If you are using fresh, reduce this to 1/2 Teaspoon)
1/2 Cup Brandy
1/2 Cup Dark Rum (The darker, the better…)
* Chill all the ingredients first, it seems to go together better that way.
* Beat the eggs together until they are very frothy. You can do this by hand, but it is much better using a electric device of some sort… isn’t that always the case? 😉
* Add in the sugar and continue beating.
* Slowly sprinkle in the nutmeg and vanilla while you continue to beat the mix.
* Are your arms tired yet??
* Slowly, a little at a time, add in the whipping cream. The texture will really start to change here.
* Now add in the milk the same way you did the cream.
* When the mix is very well combined, beat int he rum and the brandy.
After its all combined, pour it into a covered pitcher and put it in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours. We have found the Nog is more Noggier after it sits over night in the fridge.
Be sure to give the Nog a good stir before you pour it into glasses and don’t forget to top it with just a dash of nutmeg.
Enjoy and here is wishing a bright and wonderful Winter Solstice Season to you all!